My name is Ishita Mahajan and I am a Roopu Cloud Ambassador. In this blog post, I will deep dive into ApsaraDB for RDS and after that, I will show you step-by-step how you can create an ApsaraDB RDS instance for MySQL.
ApsaraDB for RDS
RDS stands for Relational Database System. A relational database is a data structure that allows you to store different types of data in form of tables. ApsaraDB for RDS is the Alibaba Cloud Online Database Service that allows you to rapidly build a stable and reliable database system. ApsaraDB for RDS is designed based on the Apsara Distributed File System and high-performance SSD storage media of Alibaba Cloud.
ApsaraDB for RDS supports the following database engines:
- SQL Server
ApsaraDB for RDS supports the following instance types:
- Shared instance
- General-purpose instance
- Dedicated instance
- Dedicated cluster instance
ApsaraDB for RDS is available in 4 different editions:
- Basic Edition
- High-availability Edition
- Cluster Edition
- Enterprise Edition
Self-managed databases are databases that are hosted on ECS instances. To use self-managed databases, you must purchase a minimum of 2 ECS instances to set up a primary/secondary architecture. Also, you need to pay for the storage that you use. You can only use intranet traffic, to use internet traffic you need to pay for that. In a self-managed database, automated backup is not possible. You need to configure streaming backup and PITR features which will increase your cost. If your Database breaks down then Self-managed databases take about 30 minutes to complete failover.
Features of ApsaraDB for RDS overcome self-managed databases:
- In ApsaraDB for RDS, you need only to pay for the RDS instances.
- It provides you free O&M service.
- It gives 99.95% service availability and 99.9999% data reliability.
- Automatic backup is possible for ApsaraDB for RDS.
- If your database server breaks down it takes about 15 minutes to complete failover.
- In cluster editions, you can also use Alibaba Cloud Proprietary High Availability Architecture. This will complete a failover within 30 seconds.
- It allows you to create read-only RDS instance to balance loads of your primary instance
- It supports DDoS protection, Access Control, System Security, and VPC Isolation mechanism.
Demo: How to create an ApsaraDB for RDS instance for MySQL
Follow below steps to create an ApsaraDB for RDS Instance for MySQL:
- Step 1: Log in to the Alibaba Cloud console: https://www.alibabacloud.com/
- Step 2 : Go to Services and Click on ApsaraDB for RDS.
- Step 3: Now you will be redirected to the ApsaraDB RDS console. Click on Create Instance to create a new RDS Instance.
- Step 4: Once you clicked on to create an instance, let’s configure the Basic Configurations. For this demo, I will select Pay-as-you-go, the Mumbai region, the MySQL database engine, Basic Instance Edition, the Standard SDD Storage type, Zone B as my primary node, and the general purpose instance type [mysql.n1.micro.1].
- Step 5: Let’s configure now the Instance Configurations. In my case, I will select VPC as my network type, choose the VPCs and Vswitches, and select the InnoDB as the default storage engine.
- Step 6: Once you review your instance configuration click on Confirm Order.
- Step 7: Once you order is confirmed, agree the Terms of Service and click on Pay Now.
After this purchase your instance will be ready within 1-5 minutes. To see your RDS instance go back to the RDS console.
About Roopu Cloud
If you have any questions or concerns about Alibaba Cloud, you can contact us. We are experts in building and implementing cloud solutions in the Alibaba Cloud platform as well as in other Chinese cloud platforms. Let us help you!